Friday, February 22, 2008

February Charity

I read about Donors Choose awhile back and finally had the chance to take a look at their website. What a cool organization! Basically, teachers are able to submit proposals to prospective donors to fund a project for their students. There are a gazillion different projects on the site and you can even search by state or keyword.
I was going down the list of "Arizona" projects, and came across one titled, "Deaf Students Read 'To Kill A Mockingbird'." This particular project caught my eye for two reasons -- 1. Because "To Kill A Mockingbird" is my most favorite book (I read it at least once a year), and 2. because while I'm not deaf, I do have a moderate form of hearing loss. I don't pretend to understand what it's like to be deaf, but I can empathize with the frustration. 
As Joey Tribbiani from "Friends" would say, this might be considered a "selfish good deed." But I love the fact that you are able to choose a project that is meaningful to you. Check this site out, I'm sure you'll find something meaningful, too! 

No comments: