Monday, October 12, 2009

My Sweden Adventure: Part 1 - H&M Paradise Discovered

This year for my birthday, my husband surprised me with a trip to Sweden. This trip was a trifecta of aweseomeness: The Detroit Red Wings were playing their season opener in Stockholm, which was the main reason for the trip. But I have always ALWAYS wanted to travel to Sweden because it's the land of my great-grandparents AND amazing design. So amazing surprise indeed, no?
We arrived in Stockholm at around 7:30am, jet lagged and delirious. The receptionist at the hotel was kind enough to let us check in early, so we took a delicious 4-hour nap, showered, dressed and hit the town for a little exploration.
In addition to checking out the beautiful architecture in the Old Town, my husband was also kind enough to indulge me in a little retail therapy. I knew we'd find some amazing shops in Stockholm, but I had no idea just how many there would be. The Swedes love to shop. (What can I say? It's in my genes. Now I have a perfectly valid excuse.) I was particularly excited to see an H&M on just about every corner. Which makes sense, because H&M was born in Sweden over 60 years ago. Most of the shops had multiple levels, and at one store in particular, I noticed a level devoted to home accessories. And that's when I knew I was in trouble.
Fun display with clock pillows.
Pillows and blankets and linens and textiles galore. At H&M prices. Here are a few of my faves:
Of course, none of this loveliness is available stateside. But you can join my drool fest right here. Perhaps if we ask nicely, we can convince them that we need these goodies, too? Anyone on board to sign my petition?

No comments: